If your little pumpkins and ghosts are excited for their day of Halloween festivities, then let them enjoy the holiday! Go ahead; let them collect, trade, and EAT that candy! However, I’m sure there are many parents like myself that by tomorrow morning will want to get rid of all this CANDY! What’s a FITmama to do?!?!
Here are a few Tricks to make those TREATS disappear!
- Family Fun Traditions. My personal favorite trick that other FITmamas’ have shared with me is the story of the Switch Witch!! After trick-or-treating, let the kiddos choose a few pieces of candy to eat and enjoy! Then the rest gets left in their trick-or-treating buckets by the side of their beds for the Switch Witch. Tonight the Witch will sneak in their room, take the candy and leave a little toy for them! So fun!!
- Cash for Candy!! Check out the Halloween Candy Buyback program which was founded by dentist Chris Kammer in Wisconsin. Kammer’s office offers $1 a pound to buy back candy collected by the young trick-or-treaters in his practice.This year, more than 2,500 dentists and orthodontists have signed up to participate. (There’s a zip code locator, if you want to find a dentist near you.) And where does all this candy end up….
- Send to our Troops! Operation Gratitude care packages. Families are welcome to remove the middle man/dentist and deal directly with Operation Gratitude. Kids can participate by writing a letter to someone in the armed forces who may receive their candy!
- Freeze it! Bake it! Craft it! Check out Parenting Magazine for tricks to bake it in small treats or use it for holiday crafts and games.
- EAT it 🙂 Let’s be honest…. you can always just eat it! But remember, everything in moderation!! Two pieces of candy– no problem! Twenty pieces of candy– a tummy ache!
Wishing you all a Safe and Happy Halloween:)