Ready to stop being a short-order chef? Sometimes the dinner table can be a constant fuss over food. Does this sound familiar?
My child eats…
only plain noodles
the same dinner everyday
Every child is different and some may enjoy a whole new “healthier” meal immediately, while others may need a gradual change of being exposed to new foods multiple times. I realize that my two year old son eating chicken liver pate is an anomaly, but the more exposure to new foods the more a child’s palette will develop. I remember my little sister eating only McDonald’s cheeseburgers, plain white rice, and buttered noodles; eventually she grew into an adventurous eater always trying new foods and embracing new recipes. If you are making multiple meals for the adults and kids in your home, try our FITmama easy tweaks to your kids’ favorite foods as well as checking out a favorite blogger, Living Well Spending Less, for more tips and tricks!!
FIVE easy recipe tweaks! Dig in!
- Chicken Nuggets
- Panko chicken with brown rice
- Dip your chicken in flour, egg, and then panko crumbs (instead of bread crumbs). Then bake your chicken for an easy upgrade in taste along with brown rice.
- Mac n Cheese
- Quinoa pasta with broccoli, extra virgin olive oil, parmesan cheese
- If you have a super picky eater, first just try to switch white pasta for “quinoa pasta n cheese” and see if your child realizes the difference. Then slowly add more ingredients like broccoli, garlic, onions, and parmesan cheese.
- Hot Dogs
- All natural chicken sausage with avocado and sweet potato fries
- My son loves chicken sausage! I add it to pasta, rice, eggs, etc… You cook it just like you would a hot dog. You can also purchase chicken sausage with spinach or peppers to get extra veggies!
- Fish Sticks
- Turbot with green beans
- Turbot is similar in taste to halibut. I like to marinate it with extra virgin olive oil, soy sauce, sea salt, pepper, and panko. Bake it at 400 degrees for 15-20mins and enjoy with a side of sautéed green beans.
- Egg Frittata with avocado, spinach, and mozzarella cheese
- First preheat your oven to 375degrees. Beat the eggs in a bowl, then pour eggs into a pan that has evoo and cook for 2-4mins on the stovetop. Then add a cut up avocado, spinach, and mozzarella cheese. Place pan in the oven and bake for additional 5-8mins.