A client recently shared these delicious muffins with us and we are so glad she did. They are light, full of fiber and omega 3’s and freeze easily!
Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins (adapted slightly from The Little Spork)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 ground flax
1/3 cup oat bran
1 1/4 cups oats
1 tsp baking powder (heaping)
1/2 tsp baking soda (heaping)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon (heaping…or more if you love cinnamon)
1/2 cup applesauce (heaping…helps to keep the muffins moist)
1/2 cup 2% Full Fat Greek Yogurt (CHECK THE SUGAR CONTENT. SHOULD BE LESS THAN 6 grams) – also heaping
2 bananas, ripe and mashed up
2 tbsp canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen) – can use more!
*optional: 1/2 tsp honey or agave if you need your muffins to be sweet to enjoy. Can also top with honey once they are done*
1. Preheat Oven to 375 degrees F
2. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper/silicon liners or spray with cooking spray (or use butter)
3. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (Flour through cinnamon)
4. In a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients (applesauce through egg)
5. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries.
6. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups (about 3/4 full)
7. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the muffin.
8. *If freezing, allow them to cool completely and put in a ziplock bag. Pop in the microwave to defrost.