Today we remind ourselves what a beautiful world we live in, and that the health of our planet, our families, and ourselves are all intertwined. Just like we promote the FITlife in action, we also encourage you to take action on issues that affect the way all of us live to ensure a healthy future.
As a FITmama, one of my trending topics is healthy, eco-friendly, and green products for the home that are safe for my family and the dog too! With the surge of new products on the market, it can lead to a consumer confusion! To unlock some questions, I enlisted my fellow FITmama, Kristen, to showcase some of her DIY solutions!
Kristen said, “When my son was born, I became acutely aware of the toxins and smells in his environment. I vividly remember the first time we crossed paths with a smoker, wet paint and bleach! Mama-bear instincts? Or slight neurosis? Call it what you want, but I began experimenting with homemade, earth, baby and budget-friendly cleaning products. Here are my best findings!”
DIY Green Solutions for the Home
What You’ll Need:
- Distilled vinegar – cuts grease and mildew
- Baking Soda – cleans and deodorizes
- Lemon – effective against most household bacteria
- Borax – Available at Target
- Water – Nature’s miracle
- Spray bottle, preferably recycled!
- Refreshing Treat: Squeeze some lemon in your water each morning for its cleansing properties. Throw the rinds down the disposable to kill odor-causing bacteria.
- Easy Air Freshener: Lemon juice mixed with vinegar also eliminates odor from the air. Put down the aerosol air-freshener. Open the window and leave a small bowl of lemon juice and vinegar close to the source.
- All Purpose Cleaner: ½ cup of vinegar, ¼ cup of baking soda mix into ½ gallon of water. This is my favorite!
- Disinfectant Solution: Mix 2 teaspoons of borax, 4 tablespoons vinegar and 3 cups hot water. Add ¼ teaspoon of liquid castile soap for a little extra cleaning power. (Available online or at Whole Foods). Wipe with a damp cloth or use a spray bottle.
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner: Mix ¼ cup of baking soda and 1 cup vinegar, pour into basin and let it sit for a few minutes. Scrub. This mixture is best made over the toilet. If you try it, you’ll see why.
FITmama-approved Store-bought Brands:
- BioKleen: removes stains from clothes (and clothe diapers), carpets, fabrics etc.
- 7th Generation: I use shower cleaning and all-purpose cleaner.
- BabyGanics: all purpose wipes, hand soaps, and laundry detergent.
Do you have any other great DIY cleaning solutions in your home? Share it with us in the comments, or let us know on Twitter!
Happy Earth Day and happy Cleaning!
FITmamas- in action