I used to be one of those people who said, “Oh I could NEVER finish a 10 miler, half marathon, or even a marathon?” Although I run quite often the thought of running 13.1 miles (half marathon) terrified me. So when a girlfriend of mine asked me to run my first half marathon with her for her 30th birthday, I was more than hesitant to say yes.
But guess what… WE did!
I’ve always heard that you can do anything you put your mind to and this weekend proved that to be true! I woke up Saturday morning with the attitude that no matter what I was going to finish that race and that is exactly what I did! The race went all throughout the city and it seriously surprised me how many people came out and stood on their front porch steps to cheer us on. The route was lined with funny signs and the adrenaline and excitement you get by running with everyone else kicks into gear and your worry about finishing the race just melts away.
The best feeling, of course, is crossing the finish line!!! The sense of empowerment you feel when you actually finish is overwhelming! There was such a sense of community at the start and finish line that made it all worth it!
My tips for future FITgal racers:
- Checkout the coarse before the race and do a practice run!
- Remember to eat breakfast! (I had a protein fruit smoothie and w/ peanut butter)
- Wear layers and maybe even a bit less than you think you might need. It might be cold right before you start, but you will warm right up!
- Make a fun playlist (If you use Spotify, you can share your playlist with your running buddies!)
- Bring an extra jacket to put on after the race— after running you might be a bit sweaty and cold, so bring an extra jacket just in case.
- Most importantly remember your positive ATTITUDE! Don’t go into the race dreading it. Go into the race excited about finishing and enjoying the entire experience!
I would highly suggest to my fellow FITgals to sign up and get it a try! Next up is the Cherry Blossom 10-miler 🙂